Supervised Field Ministry
For More Information
Steven P. Wade
Field Ministry Coordinator
Administrative Support for the Field Ministry Office
Field Ministry Office
Already a member of an EQUIP church? Check out the EQUIP website here
One way our students gain field ministry credit is through the supervised ministry courses offered on campus.
Supervised Field Ministry (On Campus Class): PMN6590/MIN4650 is designed to help the student identify and participate in a field ministry experience. The class meets on campus the first three weeks and the final week of the semester. The requirements, forms, and procedures for the internship will be covered during the on-campus meeting times. By the third week, you are to have your mentor and ministry in place so you can begin your internship by the fourth week. You can find out about the requirements and expectations of this avenue in the Field Ministry Handbook.
Field Supervisor Requirements
- The Field Supervisor must have significant experience (i.e., minimum of five years in field of study) and wisdom in the ministry. In addition, he or she must have obtained a minimum of the Master of Divinity degree from an accredited seminary or a Masters degree in the field in which the student will be supervised. (n.b., Only on rare occasions are Southeastern Faculty and Staff considered for approval and should therefore not be considered as potential Field Supervisors.)
- The Field Supervisor must be willing to teach in accordance with and not contrary to Southeastern’s confessional documents: the Abstract of Principles, the Baptist Faith and Message (2000), the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy and the Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. (These confessional documents and statements can be found at: www.sebts.edu/about/what-we-believe/default.)
- The Field Ministry Office must have a current resume on file for the Field Supervisor (i.e., resumes are kept on file for 3 years, after which the Field Supervisor will need to submit an updated one). The online training can be found under "Field Supervisor Requirements" (video 1; video 2); (the password to access the Vimeo videos is "sebtsmedia").
- The Field Supervisor must have read (or be reading) all of the assigned materials for the class.
- The Field Supervisor must be willing to mentor the student in weekly meetings and ministry throughout the duration of the 11 week field ministry experience. This includes the development of a schedule of readings and assignments due as well as the assignment of a Scripture memory passage. The schedule must be approved no later than Week 4 of the class (the first official week of mentorship).
- The Field Supervisor must be willing to work with the student to develop a particular focus in the field ministry and support, advise, and evaluate the student in his field ministry project.
- The Field Supervisor must be willing to read and evaluate all work assigned to the student (including book summaries/analyses, ministry project paper, and journal) as well as complete periodic evaluations of the student during the mentorship.