The Center for Spiritual Formation and Evangelical Spirituality exists to promote spiritual maturity and the cultivation of a robust evangelical spirituality for the glory of God, the health of the church, and the advance of Christian mission.
The Center desires to help foster a community at Southeastern Seminary that is characterized by a Word-driven, gospel-centered, mission-minded piety that conforms our character to the image of Jesus Christ and advances spiritual flourishing under his lordship. In addition, The Center serves as a resource for Southern Baptist churches and other evangelicals as they consider the best ways to form believers into ever-maturing followers of Jesus Christ. The Center is also committed to encouraging scholarship in the broader field of Christian spirituality that is orthodox, evangelical, and missional.
The Center engages in a range of activities to help fulfill our mission:
1. We sponsor regular spiritual formation seminars aimed at our students and local ministry leaders and devoted to topics related to spiritual formation and practical spirituality
2. We host periodic academic conferences aimed at scholars with expertise in disciplines such as spiritual formation, spiritual theology, and the history of spirituality
3. We partner with the Office of Discipleship and Spiritual Formation at Southeastern Seminary to encourage a disciple-making culture among our students
4. We provide support to faculty and students involved in courses related to spiritual formation, discipleship, and spirituality
5. We provide resources to students, pastors, and other ministry leaders through this website and published writings on topics related to our mission