Bringing money into the U.S.

This matter can be difficult, especially if your country has strict regulations about taking funds abroad. Check with your bank’s foreign exchange department when you are getting your financial support documentation in order, and make the necessary arrangements to bring sufficient funds with you and transfer other needed funds.

Arrange a convenient way to bring funds into the U.S. or to have them transferred efficiently to your American bank account once you open one (as soon as possible after your arrival). You should bring sufficient funds with you in U.S. currency and traveler’s checks to get through the first few weeks while your account is being opened and your bank is clearing bank drafts. It is suggested that you carry a recognized credit card (Visa or MasterCard, for example), and (A) at least two hundred dollars if single, or (B) five hundred dollars if married: one hundred in cash and the rest in traveler’s checks. Bring the rest of your money in traveler’s checks or a bank check. Be sure that bank drafts are payable to you personally and are made out in U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank. When traveling it is helpful to have a few one-dollar ($1) bills for small needs, and quarters (25 cent pieces) for telephone calls. Do not carry large amounts of cash.

If you arrive at Southeastern less than a month before registration and have not paid fees ahead of time from your own country, you will need to have access to sufficient funds (such as traveler’s checks) to pay in full your first semester tuition at registration and pay for your accommodations, etc. Remember, you cannot count on being able to establish a bank account immediately and have quick access to funds.


Tuition and Fees vary according to program and residency status.  See the annual expense page in the International Student Admissions Packet for detailed tuition costs per program. Please see the Tuition and Fees portion of our website for more information on ‘Additional Fees.’

Annual Expenses Tuition and Fees

Apartment rent and utilities information concerning campus housing options can be found by visiting the housing portion of our website.


International students, as well as accompanying spouses and children, are required to carry health insurance. At registration, international students will be required to present documentation showing that they have enrolled in a health insurance program. This will be required before they can begin classes at Southeastern. All international students in F-1 visa status are also required to have insurance coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation.

Budget at least $100 per course for textbooks.

Financial Aid

International Students receive the Southern Baptist scholarship during their first semester at Southeastern and therefore pay half of the regular tuition rate. If you intend to maintain the Southern Baptist scholarship on your tuition, you must join a SBC church within the first semester of attendance and submit a completed certification of church membership form to the Registrar’s Office. If you do not, you will no longer receive the Southern Baptist scholarship and will be expected to pay the non-Baptist affiliated tuition rate.

In addition to receiving the Southern Baptist scholarship, International Students are eligible to apply for institutional scholarships or financial aid. Applications will only be processed if submitted by the Financial Aid deadlines. The amount of each award is discretionary and does not exceed the cost of tuition fees. It is given for tuition only. If part of the scholarship is not needed for tuition, it will not be given to the student for other expenses but returned to the scholarship fund. It is not guaranteed that you will receive scholarships every year. You must REAPPLY EACH YEAR for financial aid if you wish to receive it. Please contact the Financial Aid office or visit the Financial Aid portion of our website for more information.

Financial Aid

International students who have entered the U.S. on an F-1 visa must maintain full-time status. Undergraduate students must maintain 12 credit hours in both fall and spring semesters. International M.A. and M.Div. students must register for at least nine credit hours each fall and spring semester. Th.M., D.Min., Ed.D., and Ph.D. students must maintain continuous enrollment. Students must be enrolled full-time in “on-campus” classes. International Students are allowed to take one online class per full course load.