Faculty Q & A with Steve McKinion

SEBTS Brand Placeholder Image

Mckinion holding sign

Q: Tell us about yourself.

A: I’m originally from Mobile, Alabama. I earned my B.A. from Mississippi College, my Th.M. from the University of Mobile, and then did my Ph.D. at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. My wife is Ginger, and we have three children: Lachlan, Blakely and Harrison.

Q: How did you come to SEBTS?

A: When I graduated from the University of Aberdeen in 1998, a friend of mine recommended me to Dr. Paige Patterson, who was the president of SEBTS at the time. He called me, arranged a series of interviews and I’ve been here since!

Q: When people ask you, “What do you do at Southeastern,” what is your response?

A: I train disciple-making leaders. I do that by teaching students to think theologically and to think about the Bible rightly. Officially, my title is “Professor of Theology and Patristics.”

Q: On what are you currently working?

A: I am working on a book called, “The Invitation to Historical Theology.” I am also writing a theological biography of Cyril of Alexandria, and a monograph on theology and cancer. My son, Harrison, was diagnosed with leukemia about three-and-a-half years ago.

Q: What have you been reading recently?

A: A lot of my reading is in patristic texts: so primarily stuff from the 4th and 5th centuries. I have also been reading on the topic of suffering, illness, sickness, medicine and how that relates to our theology. I’m doing a lot of reading for a Ph.D. seminar on Christology I am teaching this fall.

Q: When you get home from work, what do you look forward to doing?

A: When I’m not at work I love coaching baseball, softball, football and other sports.

Q: Who are your role models?

A: My parents have been my biggest role models by how they’ve taught me faithfulness to Christ, faithfulness to the Church, faithfulness to family and what it means to be trustworthy. I learned a lot from my Ph.D. supervisor Iain Torrance’s approach to academic work in the Church. Another mentor would be Kevin VanHoozer.

Q: What has God been teaching you lately?

A: The importance of the people of God in the midst of suffering and struggles with sin or sickness. God is present in and through his people, and it’s easy to forget about the spiritual significance of the people of God.

Q: Where are some of your former students?

A: I have former students who are college and seminary professors, pastors of local churches, on the international mission field and some who are working in the business world while living out the Great Commission.

Q: When a student completes your class, what do you want him or her to walk away with at the end of the semester?

A: The ability to think rightly of the confession we make in the gospel, and to be able to integrate that into their life and ministry. I also want them to find the correct language to articulate the gospel in any context they face.

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]