Faculty Q&A with Edgar Aponte

SEBTS Brand Placeholder Image

1. Tell us about yourself.Edgar Aponte

I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic. Nagua is my hometown. I am married to Sara, a wonderful and godly lady, who is also from DR. We have three children, two boys and one girl. I have been at Southeastern since 2013.                   

2. How did you come to SEBTS?

A few years ago, I attended a 9Marks event at the SBC, and I heard Dr. Akin speaking about the future of the SBC and the need for unity around the gospel for the sake of God’s glory and the Great Commission. After the event, I asked a friend to introduce me to Dr. Akin. A year later, the Lord opened a door for me to join Southeastern.

3. When people ask you, “What do you do at Southeastern,” what is your response?

I serve as director of Hispanic Leadership Development where I oversee all Spanish programs and work with seminary partnerships in Latin America. I also have the joy to teach Christian theology and hermeneutics, both in English and Spanish.

4. On what are you currently working?

I’m currently working in the development of more institutional partnerships in Latin America as well as some cohort programs with Hispanic pastors in different regions here in the U.S. I’m also working to prepare for some conferences over the next few months. 

5. What have you been reading recently?

I have been reading a couple of books on Christology and Pneumatology as well as doing some research on friendship and ministry. 

6. When you get home from work, what do you look forward to doing? (What are your other passions?)

I always look forward to spending time with my wife and children. When I get home, I try to help my wife with whatever she is doing, and then we have dinner together as a family. I try to spend as much time together as a family but also with each person individually.

7. Where are some of your former students?

Most of my former students are serving in pastoral ministry as church planters or lay leaders. Many of the students come from Hispanic backgrounds, either serving in the U.S. or Latin America. Some of my students are serving with the North American Mission Board as well. 

8. When a student completes your class, what do you want him or her to walk away with at the end of the semester?

A greater knowledge of God, which will produce a greater love for Him, His Word, the Church and the lost. 

9. In your work at Southeastern, how do you work to equip students to faithfully follow and share Christ amidst our ever-changing culture?

I always try to emphasize faithfulness to Scripture, a consistent devotional life and commitment to the local church. I want them to see how their Christian life connects to their whole life—how they relate to family members, other Christians, and non-Christian friends. We want our lives to be consistent with our confession of faith.

10. Why is it important for SEBTS to train students to fulfill the Great Commission in all parts of life?

We live in an increasingly hostile world that doesn’t understand the Christian worldview. We cannot assume that when we talk about sin people know what we mean. We also cannot assume that when we say God, people know that we mean Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That context presents new and difficult challenges to the church. Christians should be equipped to address society where it is today and where it will be tomorrow so that we can proclaim Christ with faithfulness to all. It doesn’t matter whether you are an engineer, nurse, attorney, or mechanic, we all live in Christ and for Christ wherever we are.

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]