Seminary Graduate Spotlight: A Conversation with César Brito

On Friday, May 10, César Brito graduated from Southeastern Seminary with an Advanced Master of Divinity. Originally from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, César found community at Southeastern that cultivated his love for ministry and for academia. During his time in seminary, he gained a deeper understanding and passion for the Great Commission, and now he and his wife, Nancy, are working towards planting a Hispanic church as they seek to make disciples for King Jesus.

Check out the Q&A below to hear from César as he reflects on his time at Southeastern.

Why did you choose Southeastern Seminary?

I was impressed by the amazing, well-balanced theology and missionary mindset that Southeastern offered. I was deeply enthusiastic about the idea of being part of a school that provides a special atmosphere of academic excellence and deep devotion.

What aspects of living, working, and studying at Southeastern were particularly formative or encouraging to you?

I was positively impacted by the humble posture of servanthood that the Southeastern staff showed to me and my family, along with a special ingredient of kindness and care. I am deeply grateful for their wonderful servant hearts during my years as a student. Additionally, I very much enjoyed how personable the professors can be and how richly endowed they are, both with the love of Christ and with the competency to mentor students. The professors’ investment is highly valuable and very much needed in an institution that provides what Southeastern does.

How did your education at Southeastern shape your view of the Great Commission?

The Great Commission used to be a foreign concept to me, which led me to fulfill this great mandate only partially. Now, I can recognize that I have been called to engage with the Great Commission beyond my neighborhood or country, as it is a message that must be proclaimed for all the nations to hear and receive. Now, having a fuller picture of the Great Commission, I am discerning enough to ask King Jesus where he wants me to make disciples who make other disciples. I believe that being part of a seminary that breathes Christ’s special commandment was highly informative, encouraging, and challenging for me. Therefore, I am happy and prepared to embrace the great mission of making disciples worldwide.

Now, I can recognize that I have been called to engage with the Great Commission beyond my neighborhood or country, as it is a message that must be proclaimed for all the nations to hear and receive.

Which classes, professors, or memories stand out from your time here?

I highly enjoyed Dr. Black’s Greek classes. His wisdom and great insights challenged me to appreciate biblical languages in a unique way. Dr. Echevarría’s New Testament courses were phenomenal and very life giving. Dr. McKinion’s theology and Christology courses, though being academically rigorous, filled my mind and heart in a special, devotional way. Honestly, all my professors were highly informative and gifted in their respective fields of study.

How have you seen theological education go hand in hand with ministry preparation during your time as a student?

What Southeastern offers through its excellent body of professors is the unique combination of theological insights with the devotion to put what students learn in a classroom into practice in whatever context or situation is presented.

How do you hope to use your degree, and where do you hope to serve now that you have graduated?

I hope to plant a Hispanic congregation where people can worship King Jesus in their own language. I also intend to use what I have received at Southeastern to train other leaders and pastors around Latin America with great biblical and theological content that is useful for life and ministry. Additionally, I would love to teach in an academic, theological setting in which I am able to mentor and support students in any way that the Lord leads me to.

How can your Southeastern family be praying for you?

• For God’s direction as we (my wife Nancy and I) have begun the process of a Hispanic church plant
  • May the God of grace and peace help us find faithful men that would form part of our core team for ministry
  • For us to obediently walk according to Jesus’s calling in our lives, more specifically pastoral (César) and counseling (Nancy) ministries
  • For God to open opportunities for me to teach and train other faithful men and students
  • For God’s guidance in helping us shepherd and treasure well the little heart of our eleven-month-old baby, TJ
Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]