Missional Counselor, Dr. Sam Williams Retires after 23 Years of Teaching

After 23 years of faithful teaching at Southeastern Seminary, Sam Williams retired from full-time teaching on July 31, 2023, as professor of counseling and Fulp Chair of biblical counseling. Williams, who helped to shape and enrich Southeastern’s world-class counseling program, plans to continue counseling and teaching occasional counseling courses in his retirement.

“Sam Williams has provided an invaluable ministry for our students, faculty, and staff for more than 20 years, not only as a professor but also as a practitioner,” commented Provost Scott Pace. “He was instrumental in establishing the biblical approach for our counseling programs and helped Southeastern become a leading center for training and mobilizing ministers and counseling professionals around the world to help fulfill the Great Commission.”

Originally from Phoenix, Arizona, Williams studied biology at the University of Arizona before pursuing clinical psychology at the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) in San Diego, CA. Graduating with his master’s in clinical psychology in 1980, Williams continued at CSPP and started his doctoral studies there.

Even as a student, Williams began using his training and skills to serve others, providing evaluations, counseling, and therapy in schools, hospitals, and clinics in California. Williams earned his PhD in clinical psychology in 1989 and then moved to Lake Charles, LA, to serve as a licensed psychologist.

Desiring to use his passion for teaching and counseling to further the Church’s mission, Williams joined the faculty at Southeastern in 2000. While teaching at Southeastern over the past 23 years, Williams also served the Church and the community in a variety of other roles as a longtime elder at North Wake Church, a consultant and counselor at The Summit Church (2010-2011), and as the clinical director at Converting Hearts Ministries (2012-present), a treatment program for men with life-dominating addictions.

“Given what God was doing in my heart, mind, and vocational interests and given my love for North Carolina, Southeastern was just right for a mid-life career change,” recounted Williams. “I have loved every semester I have been here. I love our mission, our students are the best, and my colleagues and administrators have been so helpful and fun to travel with. For me this has been vocational heaven. I love the classroom and I love to counsel and that is what I have done here for 23 years.”

This love for teaching and counseling has been evident and influential for his colleagues and for his students — many of whom have become missional biblical counselors around the world.

“Dr. Williams has set the tone for how we do counseling at Southeastern: missionally, charitably, ethically, and with excellence,” noted Kristin Kellen, associate professor of biblical counseling and associate director of EdD studies. “Our students and our faculty are better because of him.”

Dr. Williams has set the tone for how we do counseling at Southeastern: missionally, charitably, ethically, and with excellence.

“I cannot overstate the influence he has had on me,” added Kellen, who also was one of Williams’s former students. “I would not be here at Southeastern if it were not for him. He has encouraged me to pursue teaching, he has overseen my doctoral work, and he has helped give advice when I have faced personal or professional hurdles. When I think about the people who have had the most influence on me, he comes to mind. He truly is a gift to our school and to me as a friend and colleague. I am grateful that he’ll continue to be active here at Southeastern.”

In his retirement, Williams plans to continue counseling in the community and teaching occasional courses at Southeastern. Williams also looks forward to spending more time with his wife Mindy, and he hopes to continue traveling, especially to Brazil and Portugal.

“I plan to keep my office at Southeastern as long as they will put up with me,” commented Williams. “I plan to wear shorts in the summer in my roles at Southeastern and will continue to do this until Dr. Akin and Mr. Hutchinson follow suit.”

Williams’s legacy of training Christian counselors and helping people flourish as God intended continues to shape Southeastern’s counseling program and its alumni who are now serving in Christian ministry around the world.

“Sam is a superb counselor and teacher and has helped to make our biblical counseling program one of the best in the world,” noted President Danny Akin. “I am truly grateful for his heart to see people transformed by the power of the gospel and for his faithful example to our students. His ministry has borne much fruit in the lives of our students, and his presence in the classroom will be deeply missed.”

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]