Southeastern Launches New ThM Concentration in Theology and Worship

Starting this fall, Southeastern Seminary is now offering a Master of Theology (ThM) with a concentration in theology and worship to strategically equip pastors, worship leaders, and students interested in worship-related ministry or research.

As one of seven applied theology concentrations for the ThM, the new theology and worship concentration offers students an opportunity for advanced research and theological reflection on various worship-related topics. Combining rigorous scholarship and deep spiritual formation, this new concentration enables students to tailor their education to their particular research or ministry focus, maximizing the ministry impact of their training.

“The concentration in theology and worship is a fantastic opportunity for guided research that is truly tailored to the student’s research interests,” commented Jonathan Welch, assistant professor of Christian worship and director of the Worship Training Network at Southeastern.

The concentration in theology and worship is a fantastic opportunity for guided research that is truly tailored to the student’s research interests.

“While every student in the program will be exposed to theology, history, and worship studies, students will be able to customize their degree by pursuing related sub-disciplines like theological anthropology, liturgy, ethnomusicology, contemporary worship, culture, missions, or the arts,” added Welch.

For Logan Creasy, associate pastor of worship and communications at First Baptist Church Douglasville, the ThM in theology and worship offers him the opportunity to pursue further research and training in his area of local church ministry.

“After completing my master’s, I felt called to continue my theological education,” recalled Creasy, who graduated with his master’s from Southeastern in 2022. “I was drawn to the ThM in theology and worship because I knew it would expose me to rigorous academic study in that field and would challenge me to become a better researcher and writer.”

Having already taken courses toward this new concentration, Creasy has seen firsthand how his studies enrich his ministry and spiritual life. Challenging him to grow as a scholar and as a practitioner, the concentration in theology and worship encourages Creasy to grow holistically in service to Christ.

“The training I’ve received in the theology and worship concentration has not only developed me to become a more critical thinker but also has influenced the way I lead worship every Sunday,” noted Creasy. “It has challenged me to think deeply about my craft, my calling, and my pursuit of God’s glory as a pastor and worship leader.”

It has challenged me to think deeply about my craft, my calling, and my pursuit of God’s glory as a pastor and worship leader.

This kind of holistic formation is precisely what the new concentration aims to promote. For Welch, the interdisciplinary nature of worship studies enables students in various disciplines and walks of life to benefit deeply from the training and formation that the program provides.

“I believe this concentration will be attractive to a wide variety of students,” commented Welch. “Some students might be current worship ministers on staff at a church. Others might be looking for additional academic inquiry into worship-related areas like the worship gathering, music in the church, family worship, spiritual disciplines, or a lifestyle of worship. The interdisciplinary nature of worship studies provides a number of exciting opportunities for worship studies students — especially in this ThM.”

As a Great Commission seminary, Southeastern is committed to training students to serve the Church and fulfill the Great Commission. Through this new ThM concentration in theology and worship, students will be better equipped to lead their local churches in worship and to make disciples who approach life in Christ as a lifestyle of worship.

To learn more about Southeastern’s ThM program and how you can be further equipped for research and ministry, visit Southeastern’s Master of Theology page.

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]