Beyond the Book with Drs. Merkle and Miles: “Christian Academic Writing”

Improving and succeeding as a writer requires practice and persistence. However, that process often looks different for each writer, as the authors of “Christian Academic Writing: Twelve Practices and Principles for Becoming a Successful Writer” note in their book. Helping writers develop better practices and think more intentionally about their writing process, “Christian Academic Writing” is an encouraging and practical guide to writing for academic audiences.

The book includes advice and personal insight from two experienced writers and Southeastern Seminary professors, Ben Merkle, M.O. Owens Jr. Chair of New Testament studies, research professor of New Testament and Greek, and editor of the Southeastern Theological Review, and Adrianne Miles, associate professor of English and linguistics.

In the following Q&A, Merkle and Miles take time to answer a few questions about their new book:

What motivated you to write the book?

Merkle: I didn’t intend to write this book. I had no aspirations and no desires to write it, not because I didn’t want to but because it wasn’t on my radar. It wasn’t until a few fellow professors questioned me about my writing practices that I began to entertain the idea of writing a book about writing. Once the seed was planted, it began to germinate, grow, and produce fruit.

Miles: To tell the truth, I was flattered when Dr. Merkle approached me with this idea. I felt a little intimidated that maybe he should partner with someone more experienced, but when I expressed that concern to Dr. Merkle, he assured me that I was the person he wanted to work with.

How does this book differ from other books on writing?

Miles: Many books about writing discuss myths that hold people back from writing and encourage writers to develop and follow a regular writing schedule. Our book emphasizes these tips as well, but one thing our book stresses that I have not seen stressed in other books is the importance of reading. Other books may mention this topic, but we spend a whole chapter on it (Keep Reading Material with You) and also discuss it again in another chapter (Redeem Time for Reading and Writing).

In what ways does Christian academic writing differ from other kinds of academic writing?

Merkle: In one sense, there is no difference. We seek to write clearly in order to communicate certain truths or compel people to believe what we know and experience. And yet, because we write from a Christian worldview, write for the church, and write for a Christian audience, everything is different. So, although much of what we write in our book would apply to anyone wanting to improve their writing, our target audience is any Christian seeking an academic degree that requires a substantial amount of writing.

What are some of the most common obstacles to success for Christian academic writers?

Miles: I think it is many of the myths we discuss in our book as well as struggles with perfectionism and procrastination.

Which of the 12 principles has been the most challenging for you to practice in your own writing?

Merkle: Probably the most challenging principle for me is “Make writing a habit.” Although I write regularly and consistently, I don’t always write daily. I write best when I have blocks of time. Once I start a project, I typically spend much of my “free time” doing research and writing for that project, including time in the evenings, weekends, breaks, etc. Where I am not strong is having the daily practice of writing. But one of the things we stress in the book is that everyone is different and what works for one person is not necessarily the best practice for someone else.

How does this book help readers to better serve the Church and fulfill the Great Commission?

Miles: One of the points we make is that writers write because they have something to say. In other words, they have a new perspective or additional argument to make in their field. Sharing this information advances their field and is a glimpse of the creativity of the Imago Dei in all of us. As readers read this book, they will be encouraged to use the writing gift God has given them. This may directly serve the Church and fulfill the Great Commission if their writing is of a theological or missiological nature. At the same time, writers who write in other fields, like English, are demonstrating good work, which will provide a platform for them to speak to colleagues about the gospel as God opens those doors.

How has writing this book shaped you spiritually?

Merkle: The best part of working on this book has been the opportunity to partner with Dr. Miles. She has endured much suffering the past few years and her steadfastness and faith has not only been a deep encouragement to me but also to our church and to Southeastern Seminary.

Miles: Lots of prayer went into this book. I have grown in humility, as I realized how much I don’t know, and I have learned to depend on God for the ideas and words that he wants on the page.

Christian Academic Writing

Twelve Practices and Principles for Becoming a Successful Writer

This concise guide to writing in Christian academic settings offers twelve practices and principles for becoming a successful writer. It is written by two authors with a proven track record of publishing success who have a passion for helping students and budding authors improve their writing. This book distills their years of experience to offer inspiration and encouragement for writing and publishing academic works. It is ideal for students writing papers in Christian academic settings and for young academics who want to further develop their writing skills.

Christian Academic Writing is full of helpful and proven advice that will motivate readers to reach their goals. It focuses on best practices and emphasizes the finished product. Each short, readable chapter includes questions inviting readers to take their writing to the next level.

March 19, 2024

Paperback, 176 pages

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]