Southeastern Establishes The Charlotte Akin Student Aid Fund

During this week’s celebrations of the Akins’ 20-year anniversary, Southeastern announced a new endowment in honor of Mrs. Charlotte Akin. The Charlotte Akin Student Aid Fund will supply financial assistance to full-time students who have received care from the Baptist Children’s Homes (BCH) of North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia. Resourcing these students is not only an embodiment of Southeastern’s mission to equip Great Commission students but also an expression of the heart that Mrs. Akin and numerous Southeastern alumni have for the work of BCH.

The fund’s name recognizes and honors the impact of the Baptist Children’s Home on Mrs. Akin’s life and faith. From the ages of 9 to 18, Mrs. Akin lived at the BCH in Georgia, and it was during this time that she came to know Jesus as her Lord and Savior at age 11. Five years later, also during her stay at the BCH, Charlotte met her future husband, Danny Akin. Since then, BCH ministry has remained dear to Mrs. Akin’s heart, making this fund a fitting way to honor her heart for serving children.

Southeastern is deeply grateful for the impact that BCH had on Mrs. Akin’s life and conversion and also for the impact that she continues to have on the students God brings to Southeastern.

“Charlotte has selflessly and tirelessly served the Southeastern community with a gracious heart,” shared daughter-in-law Kari Akin during a celebratory banquet this week. Kari added, “Her hospitality goes above and beyond. She’s gladly opened up her home for countless graduation receptions, faculty parties, donor events, bridal and baby showers, chapel speakers, students, and the list could go on.”

Charlotte has selflessly and tirelessly served the Southeastern community with a gracious heart.

Like Mrs. Akin, many Southeastern students are drawn to BCH ministry and are committed to making disciples in that context as they seek to fulfill the Great Commission and make the love of Jesus known.

“Southeastern has laid out a solid foundation so that I may pursue the ministry the Lord has allowed me to be a part of,” shared Southeastern alumnus Luis Quintanar. “I love serving with BCH because I have an opportunity to share the gospel with so many kids. Unfortunately, the majority of our children do not come from godly households, but I

find myself in a unique situation in which I can provide a place of worship and a place for our children to learn about Jesus. What I love about this ministry is that I have the ability to make church a constant in the lives of my kids at BCH.”

Luis’ wife, Stephanie Quintanar, is also a graduate of Southeastern and serves as a foster parent trainer and licenser with BCH. In this role she has been able to work side-by-side with parents wanting to foster children, and through this she has seen God’s handiwork on display. “Southeastern helped to prepare me to see this as gospel ministry and to pursue strong, Christ-centered relationships with these families as I train and license them to foster,” Stephanie shared.

Another Southeastern alumni serving with BCH is Kevin Qualls, an MDiv graduate and current DMin student. He enrolled in the doctor of ministry program in order to become further equipped for his current role at BCH as the Vice President of Development.

“My time at Southeastern was so foundational in all the places the Lord has called me to serve,” Kevin shared, “but especially in the last eight years at Christian Adoption Services and the Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina. The evangelism and mission classes stand out as to my role in living out James 1:27 and Matthew 25:40 to care for widows and orphans and also to care for the least of these.”

It is Southeastern’s prayer that The Charlotte Akin Student Aid Fund would provide many opportunities of theological education for students coming out of BCH and that our students would continue to find ways to serve such organizations, caring for those in need and making disciples through the truth of the gospel.

To contribute to The Charlotte Akin Student Aid Fund or learn how you can honor the Akins with a gift to Southeastern, please visit our 20 for 20 webpage here.  

Office of Marketing and Communications

[email protected]